Veterinary warden at VNP Under Contract at RWANDA DEVELOPMENT BOARD (RDB): (Deadline 31 July 2023)
VACANT JOB INFORMATION.
1. Title: Veterinary Specialist/warden
2. Duty Station: Employee shall be based primarily in Volcanoes National Park head office, RWANDA.
3. Supervision: Employee shall be subject to daily supervision of, and shall have such authority as is delegated to him by the Chief Park warden and the Veterinary Analyst.
4. Work Hours: Employee shall work a minimum of 40-hours per week and any additional hours needed to perform the duties of the job description, including weekends when required.
5. Education/Qualifications Requirement: Bachelor’s Degree or advanced diploma in Veterinary Medicine. Female are highly encouraged to apply.
a) Carry out the policies and programs of the Park in a professional manner. Help improve existing protocols and help with the production of new ones where deficits exist.
b) With the Chief Park warden, discuss and implement detailed job assignments and goals for each year.
c) Assist in data collection for other projects and research approved by the institution.
d) Provide regular written reports to the supervisor, and to the veterinary analyst when requested.
*Veterinary Duties: Wild animal Health, surveillance, Monitoring, and Interventions
a) Establish and implement protocols for routine health checks and interventions.
b) Maintain and enhance program of regular health monitoring of mountain gorillas
c) Ensure wildlife diseases surveillance in the protected area
d) Collaborate with institutions with recognized expertise in conservation
e) Perform to complete a detailed post mortem examinations dead animals and are available for examination.
f) As assigned, keep accurate medical records and prepare SOAPs and other reports required, on the day of the case if possible, and at latest within one week of the case.
g) Maintain a current working knowledge of veterinary medicine, including domestic and farm animal medicine especially primate medicine, by reading and seeking all opportunities to gain experience, including practical skills such as darting and use of drugs.
Master’s Degree in Veterinary Medicine
1 Year of relevant experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Veterinary Medicine
2 Years of relevant experience
Advanced Diploma in Veterinary Medecine
3 Years of relevant experience
Competency and Key Technical Skills
Strong critical thinking skills and excellent problem solving skills.
Commitment to continuous learning