English and French Technical Editor and Translation Verificator at University of Global Health Equity (UGHE): (Deadline 12 February 2024)
HIRING INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT FOR TECHNICAL EDITING, TRANSLATION &VERIFICATION SERVICES FOR ENGLISH-TO-FRENCH CONTENT AT UGHE
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. The UGHE is a new university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals’ doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts into leaders and change-makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all. It is in this regard that UGHE is seeking an English and French Technical Editor and Translation Verificator or a group of editors with proven experience and expertise to edit and verify English and French documents translation. The proof editors is/are required and is/are expected to proof edit and verify a toolkit with EBIs, contextual factors, implementation strategies, and transferable lessons, already translated from English to French.
Consultancy type: Individual
Number of consultants: 1
Duration: 2 weeks
Research project summary
In partnership with Gates Ventures and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, UGHE conducted research studies on the Exemplars in Global Health project to understand strategies and contextual factors that facilitated Rwanda, Ethiopia, Senegal, Peru, Nepal, and Bangladesh to have an exceptional performance in reducing under-5 mortality (U5M) through implementation of evidence-based interventions (EBIs) between 2000-2015, compared to their regional and socio-economic peers. During the COVID-19 period in 2021, the research study was extended to Rwanda and Bangladesh to understand if and how these two of the Exemplar countries that successfully had reduced the U5M were able to maintain the delivery of the EBIs to children under-5 during the COVID-19 pandemic.
With the use of an implementation research framework, the research projects helped to identify key transferable lessons for policymakers and decision-making leaders in countries that were not able the achieve the same success before the pandemic and those struggling to implement child health EBIs during COVID-19 and future pandemics.
As a follow-up project, UGHE has started to disseminate the transferable lessons by engaging policymakers, decision-makers, and implementers in countries that still have challenges to effectively implement the EBIs. Through an Executive Education program, this exercise involves introducing the leaders to implementation research, EBIs, implementation strategies, and contextual factors as well as the transferable lessons drawn from previous studies. The leaders would then go back to their home countries and implement the same strategies to reduce the U5M.
Scope of services:
- Revise all translated English texts, on wide range of subjects according to the original document;
- Read given material and research industry-specific terminology
- Review the document and identify any grammatical errors and substandard language
- Ensures high standard of accuracy and reliability to the spirit and style of original text and tone
- Ensures linguistic accuracy and conformity with established UGHE standard and norms; high level French language and is exactly reflecting the contents
- Cross-reference specialized tools to check the quality of translated and edited material
- Consults all relevant sources, technical experts and authors of texts.
- Conducts linguistic research and contribute actively to the inclusion of new terms
- Ensuring applied expert experience and expertise in tools and best practices
Requirements and skills
- Five-years of work experience or any other proof as a Technical Editor and Translation verificator from French to English and English to French languages. 35%
- MSc in Translation or related field and extensive experiences in interpreting 20%
- Excellent linguistic accuracy and conformity skills in both English and French 10%
- Excellent technical proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling and punctuation errors.10%
- Good knowledge of content technical and scientific editing tools.15%
- Having expert experience and expertise, knowledge and skills of implementation research and science in health care is an added advantage. 10%
Interested Candidates should submit their detailed CV and qualifications in one PDF Document not later than the 12th of February 2024 to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org. with Subject line: TECHNICAL EDITING, TRANSLATION &VERIFICATION SERVICES
UGHE is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Commitment to Safeguarding and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Harassment:
At UGHE, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including community members – as well as our students, contractors, staff and visitors to our campus, are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment and any form of systemic abuse, whilst reducing risk and vulnerabilities. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with UGHE’s policy. UGHE will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of fraud, harassment, sexual harassment and any form of systemic abuse or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By applying, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Jean d’Amour Kubwimana MBA, PGDipOL (Oxon)
Head of Finance & Procurement Unit
University of Global Health Equity