Government of Ireland 2024 Fully Funded Postgraduate Scholarship Program, Ireland: (12 October 2023)
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is an established national initiative, funded by the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, and managed by the Council.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is unique in the Irish research landscape and complements other channels for funded postgraduate education in the Irish ecosystem. Among its features are:
- individual, prestigious awards for excellent research in the name of the applicant;
- an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review;
- funding across all disciplines, from archaeology to zoology; and
- awards for bottom-up, non-directed research, with the exception of those funded by our strategic funding partners.
Pioneering proposals addressing new and emerging fields of research or those introducing creative, innovative approaches are welcomed. Proposals of an interdisciplinary nature are also encouraged as it is recognised that advancing fundamental understanding is achieved by integrating information, techniques, tools and perspectives from two or more disciplines.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is highly competitive, with an average success rate of 18% over the past five years. Successful awardees under the programme are recognised as demonstrating world-class potential as future research leaders.
Strategic funding partners
A number of government departments and agencies partner with the Irish Research Council to support the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme as a mechanism to deliver on shared national objectives. The Irish Research Council’s strategic funding partners for 2024 are:
About Government of Ireland
The Programme enables students to benefit from a prestigious, world-class, quality education contributing to capacity building whilst also profiling the best that Ireland has to offer in education. For information on studying in Ireland. The Government of Ireland (Irish: Rialtas na hÉireann) is the cabinet that exercises executive authority in Ireland. The Constitution of Ireland vests executive authority in a government which is headed by the Taoiseach, the head of government. … The Government is also known as the cabinet…
Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program
- Type Postgraduate
- Organisation Government of Ireland
- Country to study Ireland
- School to study–
- Course to study Not specified
- State of Origin
- Gender Men and Women
- Application Deadline October 12, 2023
Aim and Benefits of Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program
The value of the scholarship will be up to a maximum of €28,000 per annum in any approved year and will consist of the following:
- a stipend of €19,000 per annum;
- a contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum; and
- eligible direct research expenses of €3,250 per annum.
Requirements for Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program Qualification
Potential applicants should carefully ascertain whether they are eligible in advance of applying to either programme. All applicants will be required to complete and pass an eligibility quiz on the online application system prior to accessing an application form.
Further information outlining what would deem an application ineligible is contained in section 8.
1) There is no age limit for applicants to be eligible for either programme type.
2) All applicants must be affiliated with an eligible Irish higher education institution or research-performing organization.?
3) Applications will only be accepted in either the Irish or English language3 .
4) Applicants must not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to the relevant programme, including to strategic partner themes. This applies regardless of whether the applicant has changed their host institution or research topic since a previous submission.
5) The Irish Research Council is not in a position to award funding for research activity under any of the following prohibited areas:??
- human cloning for reproductive purposes;??
- genetic modification of human beings that could make such changes heritable (with the exception of research relating to cancer treatment of the gonads, which may be funded); or???
- creation of human embryos solely for the purpose of research or for the purpose of stem cell procurement, including by means of somatic cell nuclear transfer.??
Interview date, Process and Venue for Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program
|Call open||31 August 2023|
|FAQ deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 05 October 2023|
|Applicant deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 12 October 2023|
|Supervisor /Mentor deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 19 October 2023|
|Research office endorsement deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 26 October 2023|
|Call outcome||April 2024|
|Award start date||1 September 2024|
Please note that the timings provided here are indicative and may be subject to change.
October 12, 2023
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Government of Ireland on irishresearch.smartsimple.ie to applyPotential applicants should read the call documentation carefully to ascertain whether or not they are eligible to apply. Indicative versions of the applicant and supervisor forms are provided for information purposes only. All participants must create and submit their forms via the online system.
For more details visit: Government of Ireland website.