Technical expert at Cleaner Production and Climate Innovation Centre (CPCIC): (Deadline 27 November 2022)
RECRUITMENT OF TECHNICAL EXPERT IN SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION
ENABEL is supporting the government of Rwanda to improve the quality & quantity of MiR Construction materials among many of its intervention, under the construction sector strategic plan 2022-2026. In this strategy, the circular economy was foreseen as one of the approaches that can sustainably back the quality and quantity of MiR construction materials. To achieve this goal, ENABEL and the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MINICOM) committed to pilot the Circular Economy approach in the construction sector.
It is in this regards that through the National Industrial Research and Development Agency, ENABEL engaged the CPCIC as a government company to implement programs and projects aimed at supporting the country’s transition to a circular economy to achieve green growth.
ENABEL has commissioned VITO Under the specific cooperation agreement, as a sub-contractor for specific coaching support with objective to support the Government of Rwanda to put in place the guidelines for circular economy, at identifying the pioneer companies, and to pilot the CE approach in the form of incubation.
VITO teams bring in countless practical experiences from European Circular Economy practices and bamboo development examples and from other trajectories in developing countries (mainly in Africa). Doing so, VITO will support the increasing maturity of governmental processes that is needed to establish a leading African example from the Rwandan construction and building sector and the capacity for the CPCIC to sustain future intervention needed for the CE in construction sector initiatives.
The pilot project will run up to December, 2023.
In order to achieve this vision and fulfil its mandate, the CPCIC would like to recruit suitable qualified staff- Technical expert to fill a vacant post of technical expert in sustainable construction to play a coordination role of these sustainable construction projects of NIRDA with Partners.
Result of Service
The assignment is to provide support to the CPCIC team to achieve the following objectives:
- Successful start of activities for promoting and accelerating the use of sustainably sourced materials for buildings and construction in Rwanda.
- Policy enhancement and training to address embodied carbon and support the uptake of sustainable building materials and material efficiency use strategies.
- Identification of pilot projects (social housing/affordable housing projects, building passport, eco-innovation) for the circularity
- Knowledge exchange, training and capacity building with stakeholders
- Effective communications and outreach on Buildings and Construction sector stakeholders in events.
Kigali, Rwanda with possibility of travel in outside Kigali.
The assignment will be of 12 months (with possible extension). Ready to start immediately.
Duties and Responsibilities
An individual with good experience in green buildings, construction, climate change in Rwanda with excellent communications and writing skills is needed to support the CPCIC team in the development of these efforts.
In collaboration with the CPCIC Team and project partners, the technical Expert will conduct the following activities:
- Facilitate engagement and coordination with local partners and counterparts on circular economy and bamboo center of excellence activities,
- Working with inter-disciplinary teams to implement sustainable approaches to infrastructure, buildings and the environment to promote the CE of construction materials.
- Coordinate and facilitate core project team meetings and other activities.
- Technical project support and application of urban planning, environmental engineering, architecture, and/or landscape architecture methods in new construction material design
- Understanding of construction management processes
- Support the drafting of concept notes, briefs, terms of reference, implementation plans for experts/partners for the activities to promote responsibly sourced materials in Kigali
- Monitor and support implementation of project activities in Rwanda
- Provide recommendation for policy advocacy on use sustainable building materials.
- Conduct research on selected buildings and construction topics
- Support communication efforts on CPCIC agenda of promoting circularity of the construction sector.
- Prepare and submit monthly activity reports summarizing the tasks delivered.
Academic Qualifications: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in sustainability or environmental engineering preferably with relevant specialization in sustainable buildings and construction, resource efficiency, circularity, climate change or related fields.
A first-level university degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, construction combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
At least 3 years of working experience in project management and capacity support at national level on sustainable buildings and construction and related policies is required.
Understanding of contexts specifically in Rwanda related to sustainable buildings and construction.
understanding of private sector, value chains of building materials and multi-stakeholder consultations.
Knowledge of climate change and resource efficiency / circularity related policies is desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Must be speaking Kinyarwanda. French is a plus.
Candidates who meet the above qualifications and experience, kindly send you application letter, detailed CV , copy of the National ID, copies of academic and professional credentials and any other relevant documents at firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 27th November, 2022.
Only successful candidates with application meeting the above criteria shall be contacted for further steps.